If your kids love junk food just like mine, I understand how hard it is to coax them to eat healthy. It’s National Grilled Cheese Month and My kids love cheese and they would eat anything that has cheese in it. Now, truth be told, I am not the best cook in the world so I am always on a look out for easy recipes that my whole family can eat. My wife and I have very demanding jobs. I come home at eight and she comes home at nine, which is dinner time at our place because we have to put our children to sleep. After a lot of experimentation I came up with this recipe that is wholesome, easy to make, and perfect for vegetarians. If you want to do cooking with style, read the recipe below that is perfect for grilled cheese month.
Spicy Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
For the soup
- Basil leaves
- Celery- half a cup
- Chicken stock-2 cups
- Garlic- 3 chopped cloves
- Italian tomatoes-2 cans
- Olive oil-3 tablespoons
- One onion (chopped)
- Red pepper flakes-1 teaspoon
- Salt- to taste
- Tomato purée- 2 cups
For Grilled Cheese
- Butter-4 tablespoons
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil-1 tablespoon
- Garlic- 2 cloves grated
- Mild provolone cheese-4 to 6 slices
- Mozzarella-4 to 6 slices
- Parmesan cheese-1/2 cup (grated)
- Parsley-2 tablespoons (chopped)
- White bread- 8 to 12 slices
For the Soup
- Take a soup pot, add the olive oil and put it on medium low.
- Add celery, chili flakes, garlic and onion.
- Season with salt and cook for 15 minutes while stirring lightly.
- Raise the heat to medium high and add the chicken stock.
- Cut up the tomatoes, add to the pot and cook for 40 minutes until the tomatoes soften and break down.
- Blend the soup in the blender after it cools down and add salt and pepper.
- Tear the basil and add in the soup.
- Decorate with cream and garnish with parsley.
For the Sandwiches
- In a bowl make a mixture of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, butter, grated cheese, garlic, and parsley.
- Add this to one slice of bread and then close it with another slice.
- Take the slices of bread and butter one the outer sides.
- Grill the sandwiches and place it on a hot griddle until the bread becomes golden brown and the cheese melts.
- Cut the sandwiches in half and serve with the soup.
To be honest, I hate doing the dishes because I think that it is more work than making the dish itself, which is the reason that I generally make my sandwiches in affordable cookware. My wife and I have bought so many pans but none of them lived up to my expectations until we found CeraPan non-stick cookware. Thanks to it, I can now clean the pan from cooked cheese pieces in no time.
I hope you like the recipe. Happy Cooking!